Monday, November 19, 2012

Our Refinished Chair

We bought a chair quite a while ago at DI and we wanted to refinish it. It took us such a long time to do because there was so much sanding! Darren worked so hard and spent so much time on our tiny balcony sanding our chair. He also took off the big hunks of wood that were on the sides of the chair and on the bottom. I think the chair looks MUCH better now. I didn't really help with the sanding, even though I wanted to. The chair was just too stubborn and no matter how hard I pushed I couldn't sand any of it. Darren just must be really strong. My job was to work on the cushions. I took the old cushions apart and used them as a pattern to make the new pieces. I learned how to sew piping in the process and I think they turned out pretty good. Just don't come over and inspect them!

The actual chair was I think 25 dollars but I can't remember exactly. It was definitely near there. We also didn't spend much on fabric at all since we found this great place in Idaho Falls that sells upholstery fabric for cheap! Serioiusly cheap, I am talking as low as 3 dollars a yard, and it is on the wide bolt. Our fabric was 5 dollars a yard but that is not bad at all considering the upholstery fabric is 40 dollars a yard at Michaels and that is what we initially looked at. I was so glad we found the cheap fabric store or else it wouldn't have been worth it to refinish the chair. We could have just bought a new one if we had to spend a lot of money on fabric. 

Here is the before and after:

 We still haven't put the little things back in the holes on the left picture (I have no idea what they are called). We are working on sanding and staining all of the little plugs to put back in the holes, so don't mind the little holes in the picture.

Overall, we are very happy with the chair, and it is very comfy to sit in. Here is Darren relaxing from all of his hard work!



No comments:

Post a Comment