Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Family History, I am Doing It

This semester I am taking a family history class. I took a family history class a few years ago in my ward, and since then I have really learned a lot more about doing family history work and I love it. I am obsessed actually. I always used to think people who were obsessed with family history were weird. But now I get how they felt about it. There is something so fulfilling and satisfying about finding your ancestors, learning about them and doing their temple work. I get so excited to see birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, and census records with my ancestors on them. There is just something so fascinating about learning who your ancestors were, what they did for a living and where they lived. It's addictive to me. A lot of people think that their family history work has all been done, but that is never true. There is always more work to be done. People also think that they don't have time to do family history and they will work on it when they are old and retired. That's not true. There will never be a time when you are not busy and you can always find an excuse to avoid doing family history work. Family history work is very time consuming, but it is one of the most worthwhile things that I can think of doing.

This past conference, Elder Scott gave a great talk about doing family history. He said, "Do you young people want a sure way to eliminate the influence of the adversary in your life? Immerse yourself in searching for your ancestors, prepare their names for the sacred vicarious ordinances available in the temple, and then go to the temple to stand as proxy for them to receive the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. As you grow older, you will be able to participate in receiving the other ordinances as well. I can think of no greater protection from the influence of the adversary in your life."

I love how he said that he can not think of a greater protection from the adversary. That is amazing, really if you think about it. When people are having hard times they often turn to the scriptures, they might pray more or read uplifting books. All of those things are great, and we should do all of those things, but how about trying family history. When we are researching our ancestors we are more protected from the adversary's influence. I love that. I think that all of Elder Scott's talk was so great and I know the church is really pushing family history. A few weeks ago, we had a letter from the first presidency read over the pulpit. It was also about family history, and it was encouraging members to take their own family names to the temple, or to do ward members family names. There is such an emphasis placed on family history, yet no one in the church seems to heed the council to get started. In my family history class today, I learned that only 3 percent of each ward is working on family history. My teacher said family history is the most failed thing in the whole church, and I can really see why he said that.

There is so much people can be doing to work on their family history. One of the greatest services you can give is doing indexing. Indexing takes records from all over the world and transcribes them so people can find their ancestors more readily. No one gets anything out of indexing for themselves, but you are offering such a service to others.

I love the work of family history, and I have already learned so much from my ancestors. My ancestors have sacrificed so much to allow me to be where I am today. I am thankful for them, and I know that there are so many souls who are waiting for their temple work to be done. Doing family history work has made the spirit stronger in my life, I know that it is the Lord's work. I am also thankful for all of the knowledgeable volunteers and missionaries who are working in family history centers ready to help people with their family history.

So, in the words of Elder Scott, "This work is a spiritual work, a monumental effort of cooperation on both sides of the veil, where help is given in both directions. Anywhere you are in the world, with prayer, faith, determination, diligence, and some sacrifice, you can make a powerful contribution. Begin now. I promise you that the Lord will help you find a way. And it will make you feel wonderful."

Do your family history, and give the great service of indexing. It will change your life.

3 comments:

  1. You inspire me! I've been thinking a lot about family history lately and how I should be doing it, but I come up with a lot of excuses. You will have to teach me how, because for one thing..I don't really know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is hard to know where to start, and it is a lot of work, but so worth it! I would love to teach you...if only I ever saw you!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete