Saturday, January 12, 2013

Surprise!

This Christmas was the first Christmas that I hadn't spent with my family. I was a little sad that I couldn't be with them, but I was also happy to be with Darren's family. I just really wish that both of our parents lived closer together! Darren and I were planning on flying into Salt Lake and staying there for one or two days because we were going to go to the temple with my Grandma so she could be sealed to her parents. I have been doing a lot of family history lately, and I had a couple other sealings ready that we could do with my grandma. I was talking with my mom about it and she was talking with my Aunt Valerie about it. My mom called me one day and told me that my Aunt Valerie had made an appointment at the temple and she told me all the details. The day before we left to fly to Salt Lake, my Aunt Valerie texted me and said that she was going to pick me up from the airport instead of my Grandpa because she was going to be up that way. I never thought twice about it because my Grandpa had also been really sick. I gave my Aunt our flight details and that was that. When we were going to bed that night I told Darren that I thought my mom might be in Utah. He asked why I thought that and I said because she had been asking a lot of questions lately. Darren told me that mom's just ask a lot of questions and I shouldn't expect her because I would be really upset when she wasn't there. After he said that to me, I started to cry. I cried mostly because I missed my family and because I knew they wouldn't actually be there. When we landed and were waiting for our luggage I did quickly glance around for my family, but knew I was being crazy and that I shouldn't be so hopeful. I thought that if they were going to surprise me then they would have been waiting in the airport, so at that point I completely got over the idea of them being there. When we were waiting for our luggage I called my Aunt and told her where we would be. At the Salt Lake Airport there are numbers outside marking where you can pick up passengers. I told her we were at number 6. When we got out there I realized we were actually at number 2. I called her and told her and she said she would have to drive back around to get us or we could just walk up a few numbers. I told her we would walk and meet her at number 6. We got there and waited for her for about 5 minutes. I was looking for her white SUV the whole time and I was starting to wonder where she was, when all of the sudden I heard a voice saying, "Hey, don't I know you guys?!" and it was Gage! Even though I had previous thoughts about my family being there, I had totally lost hope and I was really shocked when I saw Gage! And then I started crying... not too soon after my mom came running up to me on the other side. I was so excited to see them both! My Dad wasn't able to come and neither was Josh and I missed them but I was so glad to see my Mom and Gage! Who knew that my whole family was such good liars? My Aunt wasn't even at the airport and my Mom had driven up to Utah that day.

There is a video of the surprise, but it isn't very good. You can fast forward most of it because it is mostly of Gage's feet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qib1i9ilx86gych/20130102_210952.mp4

The surprises didn't end there. My Aunt Lisa had also driven up to Utah with my mom and my grandparents had no idea that either of them were there. On our way to my grandparents house from the airport we came up with a plan to surprise them. I was supposed to go in first and act like nothing was abnormal and get them in the same room. Darren, me, and my grandparents were all sitting on their bed when I texted my mom and told her to come in. Gage and my mom came through the door a few seconds later and my grandparents were so surprised!

The last surprise happened in the temple. My grandma had no idea that my Aunt Lisa was in Utah, but while we were waiting in the waiting room of the temple my Aunt Lisa walked in and surprised my grandma making her cry. My grandpa wasn't around at the time so Lisa surprised him in the celestial room right before we went in to do sealings.

It was such a cool experience to be with my grandma when she got sealed to her parents. We were also able to do some other sealings like sealing my grandmas grandma to her husband and parents. I was so happy that so many people got to be there and I know it made my grandma really happy to have 3 of her daughters there.
 I know my Grandma's eyes are closed but they were closed in all 3 pictures we took.


Darren and I partied the next few days with my Mom and Gage. It really wasn't long enough, but I am glad for the time I got to spend with them. I wish that we lived closer to them so that we could see them more! I never got to see my Dad though, so hopefully we will be visiting soon :)

2 comments:

  1. this is the coolest thing ever! you are so lucky your mom and gage could drive up to see you! and reading this made me cry happy tears for you :) even though i heard the story last week from your mom! i hope things are going well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was so great! I cried happy tears too :)

      Delete